Essays and Other Short Pieces:
- Mickens, Leah. “A Better Urban Resurrection.” Mennonite World Review, July 19, 2010, 3 .
- Mickens, Leah. “Out of the Closet and Into the Abyss: The Black Church and the Politics of Black Non-belief,” The Humanist, February 18, 2014, http://thehumanist.com/features/articles/out-of-the-closet-and-into-the-abyss-the-black-church-and-the-politics-of-black-non-belief.
- Mickens, Leah. “Papal Economics: Why Pope Francis is Making “Cafeteria Catholics” Out of the Catholic Right,” The Humanist, May/June 2014, 22-25, http://thehumanist.com/magazine/may-june-2014/features/papal-economics.
- Mickens, Leah. “We’ve Come This Far – In Spite of Faith: Debunking Civil Rights as a Church Movement,” Free Inquiry, June/July 2014, 24-27.
- Mickens, Leah. “Whatever Happened to the Law and Order Conservative? The Violence of the Silent Majority,” Salon.com, August 8 – 11, 2014
- Mickens, Leah. “Are Humanists Really Winning? The Rise of Global Fundamentalism,” Free Inquiry, December/January 2015.
- Mickens, Leah. “The Real Old Time Religion: Magic, Superstition, and the Challenge to Fundamentalism,” Free Inquiry, April/May 2015.
- Mickens, Leah. “Eunuchs in the Kingdom of Heaven: The Castrati, the Church, and the Transgender Moment,” Free Inquiry, August/September 2015.
- Mickens, Leah. “Will the Real Pope Francis Please Stand Up?” The Northwest Review. http://thenorthwestreview.com/2015/10/will-the-real-pope-francis-please-stand-up/ October 1, 2015.
- Mickens Leah. “Will the Real ‘Culture of Life’ Please Stand Up? Dissecting John Paul II’s Evangelium Vitae Twenty Years Later,” Free Inquiry, December 2015/January 2016.